Best Sanders for Furniture Refinishing
After a while, our furniture depreciates. We’ve all been there. Nobody wants to buy a replacement when that happens. The best solution is to get it refinished. Of course, you could have an expert do it for you, but that costs a lot of money. You won’t be able to customize it to suit your needs either.
Hence, you should just do it yourself. The biggest issue of getting into DIY furniture refinishing is knowing the best sanders for furniture refinishing. There are a lot of options to choose from.
However, all of them are not equally viable. Beginners often have to go through a lot of trial and error to find the right one. That is why we have constructed this guide to help making the process much easier. It will give you a head start when getting a sander. We will be going over our picks for the best sanders for furniture refinishing.
Besides, we will be letting you know what features to look out in each sander and their use. Likewsie, with all this information, you can get into refinishing quickly and effectively. It is a must-read for beginners. So, without further ado, let’s get down to it.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top Furniture Refinishing Sanders Review
- 1.1 1. Makita BO4556K 2.0 Amp 4-1/2-Inch Finishing Sander with Case
- 1.2 2. BLACK+DECKER Orbital Sander, Compact Detail (BDEMS600)
- 1.3 3. Bosch GSS20-40 Orbital Finishing Sander (1/4-Sheet)
- 1.4 4. DEWALT DWE6411K 1/4 Sheet Palm Grip Sander Kit
- 1.5 5. Bosch OS50VC 120-Volt 3.4-Amp Variable Speed 1/2-Sheet Orbital Finishing Sander with Vibration Control
- 1.6 6. Porter-Cable 382 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander
- 2 The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Our Best Pick - Bosch OS50VC Orbital Finishing Sander with Vibration Control
- 5 Final Verdict
Top Furniture Refinishing Sanders Review
Before we get into the buyer’s guide, we will be suggesting some excellent sanders. All of them are great choices, but their effectiveness varies based on their purpose. Therefore, keep that in mind while you read.
1. Makita BO4556K 2.0 Amp 4-1/2-Inch Finishing Sander with Case
For our first entry, we have a reliable generalist sander. Its 2-amp motor generates smooth finishes. It feels comfortable to hold and better to use. Here are some features that set this unit apart.
- It has an impressive 14,000 oscillations per minute (OPM) for faster and smoother results
- The large clamp lets you to add and remove sandpaper easily
- Expert construction allows it to maximize comfort and minimize vibrations
- Designed with full one-handed operations in mind
The device has a reputation for being easy to use. You can see that from its simple design. It was meant to be used with the only hand. This frees up your other hand to add extra precision to your work.
Accordingly, this makes it an incredible beginners model. It has reduced vibrations and a comfortable handle. You can make accurate motions when you make each stroke.
Overall, this is an excellent model. The degree of comfort they offer is impressive. However, the device lacks longevity. It struggles to provide the same level of performance after a few years. Even though it is hard to match in its prime.
- Fast and efficient Sanding
- Comfortable to handle
- Easy to install and apply
- Great for plat surfaces
- Lacks longevity
2. BLACK+DECKER Orbital Sander, Compact Detail (BDEMS600)
Size is not everything. Sometimes, smaller units are more useful in furniture refinishing. You can sand every nook and cranny with something small. This unit capitalizes on this fact with its compact design. Take a look at what this device offers.
- The three-position grip increases maneuverability
- It has an iron shaped disc which makes it more versatile
- The compact design lets it access hard to reach places
- It has a 1.2-amp motor that can achieve 14,000 OPM
It is quite amazing how this machine manages to offer 14,000 OPM with a 1.2-amp motor. Considering its size and weight, that amount of OPM is incredible. Its lightweight also makes it easier to maneuver.
On that note, this unit is very versatile. The iron shaped disc allows it to sand with the effect of a square tool, and around the tool. You can also use the tipped edge to reach small spaces for perfect sanding results.
Thus, these features make it perfect for projects with a wide variety of surfaces. However, the disc shape cannot hold standard shaped sandpaper. So, you have to buy the specific type.
- Can be applied effectively on most surfaces
- Small yet powerful
- Easy to handle
- Smart Dust collector
- Needs sandpaper that is especially compatible with this unit
3. Bosch GSS20-40 Orbital Finishing Sander (1/4-Sheet)
It's necessary to give your sanders a rest when you work with them. Keeping them running for too long at a time is full of detrimental effects. This Bosch unit sidesteps the issue entirely with its brilliant long-lasting technology. Let's go over some of the stuff it can do.
- The unit has a soft grip that prioritizes function, making it easier to use
- Its design enables efficient and long-term usage
- It comes equipped with a high power 2-amp motor that dishes out 12,000 OPM
- Intricates dust collection system which can keep your workspace clean
As mentioned before, its best feature is its long-term usage. You can work for hours without taking rests. It helps to keep you in the flow.
The grip also fits majestically in hand. It encourages longer and focused work drastically improving the outcome as a result. This kind of comfort enhances the experience as well.
Finally, the unit has a versatile disc. It can accept almost any kind of sandpaper you can find. Subsequently, it becomes easier to get sandpaper with the grit you need. However, its clamp is kind of weak. This stops it from being a flawless sander.
- Superb longevity due to the high-quality build
- Very easy to use
- Offers superior comfort
- A versatile range of compatible sandpaper
- Weak clamp system
4. DEWALT DWE6411K 1/4 Sheet Palm Grip Sander Kit
To contrast with the previous entry, this device has a highly efficient clamp system. In fact, this DEWALT model has many features that make this so pleasant to use. Here are just some of the best ones.
- Extremely high-power 2.3-amp motor
- The intuitive counterweight nullifies vibrations
- The genius paper clamp system keeps the sandpaper properly retained
- A compact design that improves its precision
As you can see, most of its features focus on keeping itself still. Minimal vibrations and interferences produce the best results. This is because you can put all of your focus into refinishing.
The unit also has a very compact shape. It almost looks compressed. This lets you get closer to your project. As a result, it gives you more precision and intimacy with your work.
Lastly, let’s discuss its dust collection. You can set up a vacuum hose to suck up all the dust while you work. In spite of that, its dust bag is kind of lacking. You can take some measures to fix it easily.
- The highly efficient clamp system
- Counterweight adds significant control
- The high-power motor produces smooth
- Option to add a vacuum hose for added cleanliness
- The dust bag has room for improvement
5. Bosch OS50VC 120-Volt 3.4-Amp Variable Speed 1/2-Sheet Orbital Finishing Sander with Vibration Control
If a 3.4-amp motor does not impress you, everything else will. This unit comes with both high performance and customizability. Here are just some of the many things it offers.
- Speed dial system lets you adjust the speed and power to suit your project
- An incredible suspension system that drastically reduces vibrations
- High-grade dust filter allows you freely empty the remains
- The 3.4-amp motor provides the best sanding experience
You need to adjust the speed of your sander to get precisely the kind of results you want. Subsequently, this Bosch model gives you the freedom to adjust the speed as you need. All you need to do is utilize its speed dial system. It employs a state of the art suspension system that nullifies vibrations.
Moreover, it has a unique dust filtration system that protects you from harmful debris while you work.You can attach any sandpaper you buy. So, you won’t have to worry about getting specific ones.
However, its versatility is somewhat hampered by its weight. Of course, a device with that much power is bound to be heavy. Nonetheless, it makes up for it.
- Can accommodate almost every type of sandpaper
- The adjustable speed dial system
- Superior vibration control
- Pristine sanding results
- Very heavy
6. Porter-Cable 382 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander
For our final entry, we recommend an incredibly durable sander. Its construction and build let you use it over a more extended period of time.
Let's go over a few of its most notable features.
- It is produced with 100% ball bearing, improving its durability
- Designed to enable longer switch life
- Finishing system that speeds up start-up time
- Inclusion of dual plane counter makes sanding less exhausting
In case you are planning to buy a long-lasting sander, this is a superb option. The 100% ball-bearing construction means it won't be wearing out any time soon.
The unit manages to be lightweight despite its sturdy build. Also, it's easy to use. The simplistic design is also something that encourages better sanding. It even starts up quickly so you can get into sanding as soon as possible.
This model’s design bolsters longer usage. All of its features complement each other for prolonged projects.
Nevertheless, the dust bag is a bit loose out of the box. You can easily use some tape to fix it.
- Lightweight for ease of use
- Can operate for a long time
- Easy to use
- Simple and welcoming design
- The dust bag is loose
The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
Now, you are going to know what features to look for in each individual sander. This segment is dedicated to teaching you what you need to know about buying the best sanders for furniture refinishing.
First, we will explain why you need furniture refinishing sanders.
The Use of Furniture Refinishing Sanders
Furniture depreciates considerably over a few years. Once it deteriorates, it is still possible to restore. That is why you need to find the best sander for furniture refinishing.
These are designed to remove the preexisting paint from your furniture. They also make the surfaces of the project smooth so you can paint over them. Therefore, they are essential tools for restoration.
Let’s discuss the features you need to keep an eye out for.
What You Need to Know Before Buying
To start this off, you need a sander with a good motor. The better the motor is, the more effectively it can recondition your project. So, figure out how much OPM (orbits per minute) the device can handle. At the same time, remember that low speed sanders are viable for small scale projects.
Sanding is all about precision. The best sander for furniture stripping must be stable in your hands. As such, most good sanders try to reduce the vibration as much as they can. Otherwise, your project will be full of divots and imperfections. Hence, you need to know how stable the sander is.
Different types of sanders use different methods to attach sandpaper. Some are clip-on while others are clamped. Some can handle both types as well. Look out for these types before you buy.
The Sander Discs
The shape of the sander’s disc plays a considerable role in your sanding. Keep an eye out for the different shapes. Buy the one that best suits your projects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Do these sanders come with free sandpaper?
Generally no, but it all comes down to the distributor.
Q. What shape of disc do I need?
It depends on your type of work. If you need to cover more ground, a square disc is excellent. If your project has an intricate design, a circle disc would be better. The iron shape serves as a good middle ground between the two.
Q. How important is the weight of a sander?
Lighter tools are easier to handle. As such, weight is an important factor.
Q. Is sanding the only way to remove paint on furniture?
No, you can use certain chemicals to remove paint as well. However, sanders are the most efficient method.
Q. What should I do after sanding?
You either leave your furniture in its natural color or paint it however you like.
Our Best Pick - Bosch OS50VC Orbital Finishing Sander with Vibration Control
Out of all the sanders mentioned here, the Bosch OS50VC is simply the best. Its number of features offer an elevated sanding experience. You can focus solely on your sanding without vibrations.
The 3.4-amp power honestly speaks for itself. It grants smooth results with customizable speed. Furthermore, the speed dial system increases your degree of control over the project.
Finally, the dust filtration system keeps your workspace mostly clean. Its professional-quality sanding sets this apart from the rest of our picks. Moreover, it offers everything they do and even more. In this regard, we have selected this unit as our top pick.
Buying a sander should be a long-term investment. If you go in blind, you are heading for an underwhelming experience. With our guide and our top picks review, you can get a great sander on your first purchase.
Simply remember all of our tips and suggestions before you buy. You’ll then know what the best sanders for furniture refinishing are.
Good luck and happy sanding!